Close to one of Yucatan’s newly discovered and most impressive archaeological sites, lays Unajil Eco-Community. This project was started by a group of local ejidatarios who decided to improve their community by inviting travellers to stay with them. Gradually they began building eco-cabins made of wood and palm leaves and powered by solar panels where now the visitor can enjoy a peaceful night in the jungle. Ohter members of the community of Ek Balam have now joined to offer different activities and workshops that allows us to really experience Mayan way of life. Some of these are bicycle rides into the jungle, rappeling and zip-lining, swimming in X-canche cenote, hammock-weaving, tortilla-making…
Duration: 1 day (7 hours approx.)
Category: Adventure and Nature
Departs: Daily (all year round)
Language: Spanish, English, French, Italian and ASL.
Price: 135USD per person
Special price for groups of 10-12 people: 110USD per person
*Due to the van’s petrol consumption the price might vary depending on where you are lodged. Contact us for specific details.
- As Ek Balam lays three hours away from Playa Del Carmen, we will depart early in the morning. At our arrival we will visit the still not popular Ek Balam archelogical site. ‘Ek’ means black, ‘balam’ means jaguar. This city was named after its founder who managed to raise a whole town out of wood, dried palm leaves and limestone.
- Just at the time when the heat begins to raise, we will change into our swimming suits and enjoy a bike ride into the deep Yucatec jungle.
- Our destination is X-Canche cenote, a natural beauty that will leave you astounded. In this relaxing setting we will refresh ourselves diving in it and zip-lining over it whilst enjoying a few Coronas.
- Before we are tumbling too much, we will make our way back and enjoy a well-deserved meal full of the traditional Yucatec flavour in Uhnajil Ek Balam Eco-Project.
- During the afternoon, you will personally meet the local inhabitants who will teach us their millenary culture through some culinary and arts&crafts workshops.
+ TOUR INCLUDES:
Comfortable transportation to and from Hotel.
Lunch *If you are vegetarian or have any allergies please let us know .
Beverages (water, juices)
– TOUR EXCLUDES:
Why Travel Indigo?