The villagers of Nuevo Durango have come together to form an eco-turism project called La Granja Maya (The Mayan Farm). The day you visit you will be received by one of the village’s family who will be our hosts for the day. We will be invited to participate and learn how they make their living through organic farming, harvesting, composting… We will eat with them and taste their smokey-wooden-flavoured honey as well as swimming in the community’s gorgeous cenote. Other activities that the community offers are rappeling down caves, witnessing the descent of thousands of swallows into the earth and take part in a purifying ceremony inside a Temazcal (traditional Mayan sweat lodge) to purify our bodies and souls.
Duration: 1 day
Category: Culture, Adventure and Nature
Language: Spanish, English, French, Italian and ASL.
Price: 85USD per person
Special price for groups of 10 people: 70USD per person
*Due to the van’s petrol consumption the price might vary depending on where you are lodged. Contact us for specific details.
- Depending on the season, we will begin the morning dressing up to harvest the delicious organic honey or visit the community’s organic crops and tasting the original flavour of Mayan earth.
- We guarantee that by the end of this activity your bellies will be rumbling. Threfore, by the time we get back, a delicious, organic, fare trade and traditional meal will be waiting for us back in the village.
- From there, we will take our harnesses and deepen into the womb of the earth. To get there we will have to hike a couple kilometres through the jungle. Our local guide will take this time to show you many different plants and their purposes in traditional Mayan medicine. Rappel down 20m we will explore the misterious cavities of the Yucatan peninsula, its stalactites, stalagmites and other geological formations and immerse in the purifying darkness.
- If time and rain god Chac allows it, we will head to witness the descent of hundreds of swallows at dusk.
*Nuevo Durango Mayan community also offers other unique activities and services like
- Ecological wooden cabins for the most intrepid traveler who wishes to really immerse in this millenary but humble culture.
- Temazcal. For begginer meditators or those wishing to deepen their spirituality, this traditional Mayan ceremony is for you. The ceremony is guided by experienced practitioners. The aim of temazcales is to root us in present time and bring further awareness and insight of ourselves and that which surround us.
- Mayan Traditional Wedding. Were you thinking of giving your life engagement a true meaning through an unexpected spin? This community will organize an unforgetable event in this georgeous and unruly setting. Share this unique occassion with the moon, the sounds of the jungle and your loved ones.
Contact us for prices and details and make your experience stand out from all others.
+ TOUR INCLUDES:
Comfortable transportation to and from Hotel.
Morning snack and Lunch *If you are vegetarian or have any allergies please let us know .
Beverages (water, juices)
– TOUR EXCLUDES:
Why Travel Indigo?